From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Any of several fish-eating diving birds including the common loon.
(AM-363: dp. 530; 1. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 9'9"; s. 15k; cpl. 104; a. 1 3" 4 40mm.; cl. Admirable)
Gavia (AM-363) was laid down as PCE-907 on 8 July 1943 by Williamette Iron & Steel Corp., Portland Ore., launched 18 September 1943 sponsored by Mrs. James E. Ray; reclassified as AM-363 on 27 September 1943; and commissioned as Gavia (AM-363) 23 July 1945, Lt. K. P. Billhardt in command.
After trials in the Columbia River Gavia departed Astoria, Ore., 10 August 1945 for mine warfare exercises at San Pedro and San Diego, Calif. She departed San Pedro 26 September and reached Honolulu 4 October 1945 After additional minesweeping training in Hawaiian waters, she departed Pearl Harbor 26 October for minesweeping operations in the Far Fast. Proceeding, via Eniwetok and Saipan she arrived Wakayama, Japan, 27 November.
Steaming to Sasebo 3 December, Gavia spent the remainder of the month sweeping for mines in Tsushima Strait, Okino Shima, Tachabana Wan. She continued minesweeping exercises at Sasebo until 17 February 1946 then sailed for Buckner Bay, Okinawa After serving as reference ship for Japanese minesweepers clearing waters off Miyako Jima, she arrived Subic Bay 19 March and removed her ordnance gear. She departed 9 April and reached Shanghai 13 April. She decommissioned there 29 May 1946 and was turned over to the State Department for transfer to the Chinese Maritime Customs [transcribers note: as Yung Chun]. Her name was struck from the Navy List 19 July 1946.
Gavia received two battle stars for World War II service.