From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A broad embankment, usually surmounted by a parapet, raised as a fortification.
Rampart (AM-282) was laid down on 24 November 1943 by the Gulf Shipbuilding Corp., Chickasaw, Ala.; launched 30 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Frank S. Scott,; and commissioned 18 November 1944, Lt. Stanley F. Luce in command.
After shakedown in the Gulf of Mexico, Rampart got underway 8 December and arrived at Little Creek, Va.. 5 days later. She operated out of Little Creek, conducting minesweeping exercises, until 15 January 1945, when she sailed for Casco Bay, Maine, for antisubmarine warfare training.
Rampart then returned to Hampton Roads, and got underway 25 January for the Canal Zone, reaching Coco Solo Naval Base 1 February. She transited the canal and proceeded via San Diego to Hawaii, arriving at Pearl Harbor on 24 February. On 7 March she headed back to the west coast, reaching Seattle on 19 March.
On 7 April Rampart departed Seattle for Kodiak, Alaska. A week later she steamed for Cold Bay, arriving on the 15th. On the 24th she began shakedown with personnel of the Soviet Navy. The training was completed on 13 May, and on 20 May 1945 Rampart was decommissioned and transferred to the Soviet Navy on lease. She was reclassified MSF-282 on 7 February 1955.