From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A shaft on which something turns; a person or thing having a central role.
(AM-276: dp. 650; 1. 184'6''; b. 33'; dr. 9'9"; s. 14.8 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3'', 4 40mm.; cl. Admirable)
The first Pivot (AM-276) was laid down 1 July 1943 by Gulf Shipbuilding Co., Chickasaw, Ala.; launched 11 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Clara L. Prouty; and commissioned 12 July 1944.
After shakedown ended 10 September, the new mine sweeper operated with the Atlantic Fleet training and patrolling until sailing for the Pacific early in April 1945. She transited the Panama Canal on the 10th; and after training in Hawaiian waters reached the war zone in time for mine sweeping operations in the Ryukyus soon after the conquest of Okinawa.
She supported Admiral Mitscher's Fast Carrier Task Force during the deadly strikes against Japan in July and operated in Korean waters after Japan's surrender. She returned to Okinawa late in October and resumed sweeping operations in the Ryukyus. She decommissioned at Subic Bay 6 November 1946 and remained in reserve until sold to China 27 August. 1948. She served in the Chinese Navy as Yung Shou until 1970.
Pivot earned four battle stars for World War II service.