From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
(AM-259: dp. 625; 1. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 9'9"; s. 14.8 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3", 2 40mm., 6 20mm., 2 dep., 1 dcp. (h.h.), 2 dct.; cl. Admirable)
The first Lucid (AM-259) was laid down by American Shipbuilding CO., Lorain, Ohio, 20 February 1943 launched 5 June 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Joseph S. Mood; and commissioned 1 December 1943, Lt. Charles Bulfinch in command.
After shakedown out of Little Creek, Va., Lucid departed 3 March 1944 for the Caribbean, arriving Guantanamo 7 March. For the next 12 months, the minesweeper was assigned to escort duty between Trinidad, British West Indies, and Recife, Brazil. Protecting convoys from U-boat attacks, she made eight such voyages prior to reporting for duty as a training ship at Miami 28 March 1945. From April to June, Lucid operated as a schoolship out of Miami and trained future naval officers in the art of seamanship. Following a brief overhaul at Norfolk, the minesweeper returned to Miami and decommissioned there 28 August 1945. She was transferred to the Chinese government the same day. [Transcriber's Note: As Yung Ming.]