From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
To impart gradually.
(AM-252: dp. 530; 1. 184'6''; b. 33'; dr. 9'9"; s. 15 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3", 2 40mm., 6 20 mm., 2 dct., 3 dcp.; cl. Admirable)
Instill (AM-252) was launched 5 March 1944 by the Savannah Machine & Foundry Co., Savannah, Gal; sponsored by Mrs. Lydia G. Mehoffey; and commissioned 22 May 1944, Lt. Charles A. Hardy, USNR, in command.
After shakedown out of Little Creek, Va., and a few weeks of escort duty in that area, Instill was assigned to Service Force, Atlantic Fleet as a training ship. This duty continued until 11 August when she reported to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba to operate with shakedown ships as a radar countermeasure ship. Returning to Norfolk 22 October, Instill remained there until 21 January 1946 when she sailed to Orange, Tex. The minesweeper decommissioned there 26 February 1947, joining the Reserve Fleet.
When Communist aggression in South Korea required strengthening of American seapower, Instill recommissioned 16 March 1951 and began an intensive period of training and patrol duty between Charleston- and Norfolk. She continued her important minesweeping operations and patrol duty along the East Coast until she returned to Orange, Tex., 3 January 1954. Instill decommissioned there 1 March and once again joined the Reserve Fleet. Reclassified MSF-252, 7 February 1955, she remained in the Texas Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet until struck from the Navy List 1 May 1962, and sold in October 1966 [correction: 2 October 1962] to Mexico, serving at present as DM-10.