From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
dr. 9'9" s. 15 k. cpl. 104 a. 1 x 3"
Counsel (AM-165) was launched 17 February 1943 by Willamette Iron and Steel Corp., Portland, Oreg.; and commissioned 27 May 1944, Lieutenant Commander E. C. Davis, USNR, in command. She was reclassified MSF-165, 7 February 1955.
Sailing from San Francisco 8 August 1944, Counsel was repaired at Pearl Harbor and escorted a convoy to Eniwetok, arriving 20 September. Five days later she was underway for Saipan for patrol and escort duty during which she rescued three naval aviators off Tinian on 18 October. Arriving at Ulithi 26 October, she continued her patrolling, then was assigned on 10 November to screen the damaged Canberra (CA-70) to Manus, towing in tandem with SS Watch Hill during the last 2 days of the trip. Counsel returned to Ulithi 24 November, and sailed 2 days later for the landings on Peleliu, Palau Islands, where she patrolled against submarines until 15 December. After overhaul at Eniwetok Counsel sailed out of that port on convoy escort duty to Guam, Saipan, Iwo Jima, Ulithi, and Tarawa, and on antisubmarine patrol and minesweeping operations until the end of the war. She arrived in Buckner Bay, Okinawa, 23 August 1945, and until 6 November swept mines in Japanese and Chinese waters, from Sasebo. On 20 November Counsel sailed for home, arriving at San Francisco 19 December. Counsel was placed out of commission in reserve 15 January 1947 at San Diego.
Counsel received one battle star for World War II service.