From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A large, fisheating, diving duck with a long, slender, toothed beak.
(AM-135: dp. 500; 1. 133'7"; b. 26'1"; dr. 12'8"; s. 10 k.; a. 2 .50 cal. mg., 2 dcp., 2 6-pdr.)
Merganser (AM-135), originally trawler Annapolis, was built in 1937 by the Bethlehem Steel Corp., Quincy, Mass.; acquired by the Navy as Ocean through Maritime Commission requisition purchase from the General Sea Foods Corp., Boston, Mass., 3 January 1942. renamed Merganser 18 January 1942; converted by Bethlehem Steel Atlantic Works, East Boston, Mass.; and commissioned 23 May 1942, Lt. A. S. Johnson, USNR, in command.
Assigned to the 1st Naval District, minesweeper Merganser operated from the Woods Hole Section Base, patrolling the w aters off New England, until February 1944. She then proceeded to Boston for inactivation, decommissioning there 1 May. She was struck from the Naval Register 16 September, and on the 29th transferred to the Maritime Commission. She was subsequently sold to her former owner and renamed Ocean.