From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships


Displacement 890
Length 221'2"
Beam 32'
Draw 10'9"
Speed 18.1 k
Complement 105
Armament 1 3", 2 40mm, 8 20mm, 2 .30cal mg, 2 dct
Class Auk

Oracle (AM-103) was laid down by General Engineering & Dry Dock Co., Alameda, Calif., 7 May 1942, launched 30 September 1942, sponsored by Mrs. Sadie L. Jones, and commissioned 14 May 1943, Lt. Comdr. William H. Putnam, USNR, in command.

Getting underway from Alameda 27 June, Oracle steamed to Adak, Alaska, to spend the next 5 months in towing, escort, patrol, salvage, and survey operations in the Aleutians area. She furnished minesweeping and antisubmarine screening support for the occupation of Kiska 15 to 22 August.

Departing Adak 1 December, Oracle arrived at Pearl Harbor the 10th. On her first operation in the central Pacific, the invasion of Majuro Atoll, Marshalls, 31 January to 3 February 1944, she swept landing channels and took soundings for chart preparation. Oracle then proceeded to Kwajalein, arriving the next day for antisubmarine patrol until the 14th.

On 15 February Oracle got underway in convoy for Eniwetok, arriving 2 days later to mark the channel for the landing craft assault that same day. She again patrolled against enemy submarines until she departed Eniwetok 12 April for Pearl Harbor.

Following training from 20 April until 29 May for the invasion of Saipan, Oracle returned to the Marshalls to join a task group off Eniwetok 14 June. The minesweeper arrived off Tanapag Harbor, Saipan, the next day for minesweeping and screening before moving on to Magicienne Bay. On 10 July Oracle rescued two Japanese on a makeshift raft off Saipan.

By the 24th the ship was off Tinian for the landings and mop-us operations to 4 August. She spent most of September patrolling off the southern Marianas before escorting Girage (IX-118) to Guam, arriving the 20th.

From 1 to 10 October Oracle was on emergency chemical smoke watch off Apra Harbor, Guam, to protect shipping from Japanese air attack. She continued service off Guam and in operations to Ulithi until proceeding to Okinawa. Patrolling there on 6 May she assisted in splashing three Japanese planes. On 14 May Oracle departed Guam for the West Coast, via Pearl Harbor, arriving Seattle, Wash., 6 July.

Fighting stopped during overhaul. Oracle got underway for Pearl Harbor 29 August, arriving 5 September. Reporting to Sasebo, Japan, 5 November, she participated in the mine clearance of the Formosa Straits area, until 23 December when she reached Shanghai, China.

On 3 January 1946 Oracle departed Shanghai for Pearl Harbor, via Sasebo, arriving the 31st. The minesweeper steamed for home in the spring, arriving San Diego, Calif., to be decommissioned 29 May and enter the Pacific Reserve Fleet there. On 7 February 1955 Oracle was redesignated MSF-103.

On 1 December 1966 Oracle was struck from the Navy List. The fleet minesweeper was stripped and used as a target for the Pacific Fleet in the winter of 1967.