From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
An agent blocking, clogging or impeding.
(ACM-7: dp. 880,1. 188, 2"; b. 37, dr. 12' 6"; s. 12.5k.; cpl. 69; a. 1 40mm.; cl. Chino)
Obstructor, built by the Marietta Mfg. Co., Pt. Pleasant, W. Va., as Army mine planter 1st Lt. William G. Sylvester was transferred to the Navy, 4 January 1945, renamed Obstructor, 19 January 1945, converted at the Charleston Navy Yard and commissioned 1 April 1945, Lt. Sammie Smith in command.
Following shakedown in Chesapeake Bay, Obstructor a minesweep gear and repair ship, loaded gear and other supplies at Norfolk and sailed 11 June 1945 for the Panama Canal. Transiting the canal on the 21st, she proceeded up the coast to San Diego. There at the end of the war, she sailed for the Far East 18 August. Steaming via the Marshalls and the Marianas, she arrived at Manila and reported for duty with MinRon 106, 8 October. On the 17th she got underway for Haiphong, arriving and joining TU 74.4 on the 22nd. Assuming duties as flagship, MinRon 106 the same day, Obstructor served as minecraft tender for that task unit as it operated off Haiphong harbor, the island of Hainan and off Chinese ports during the next six months. In early May, 1946, she sailed east enroute back to the United States. Arriving at San Francisco 15 June, she decommissioned and was transferred to the Coast Guard 28 June and was struck from the Navy List 19 July 1946.