From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Name commorating the Puritans of New England.
(ACM-16: dp. 1,300 (f.); 1. 189', b. 37'; dr. 12', s. 12 k.; cpl. 65; a. 1 20mm.; cl. ACM-11)
Puritan (MMA-16) was originally the Army mineplanter Col. Alfred A. Maybach. Her transfer to the Navy was approved 7 March 1951. Upon transfer she was placed out of commission in reserve as ACM-16, assigned to the San Francisco Group Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 7 February 1955 she was reclassified as MMA-16 (Minelayer Auxiliary). She was named Puritan effective 1 May 1955. She remained out of commission in reserve berthed at Mare Island until struck from the Navy List in 1959.