From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A variant spelling of Miantonomoh (q.v.) [Transcriber's Note: Miantonomoh was a leader of the Narrangansett Indians, and nephew of the Narrangansett chief, Canonicus.]
(ACM-13: dp. 910 (lt.); 1. 189'; b. 37'; dr. 12'; s. 12 k; cpl. 135; a. none; cl. ACM-11)
Miantonomah (MMA-13) was built as MP-1 for the Army by Marietta Manufacturing Co., Point Pleasant, W. Va., in 1943. She was transferred from the Army to the Navy and commissioned as ACM-13 on 25 January 1950.
Assigned to the 12th Naval District, based at U.S. Naval Station, Treasure Ireland, the auxiliary minelayer operated out of San Francisco Bay along the California coast training for harbor defense. In addition she towed sea targets and supported fleet gunnery exercises. On 7 February 1955 she reclassified to MMA-13, and on 13 May she was named Miantonomah.
Miantonomah decommissioned at Terminal Island, Long Beach 10 July 1955. She entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet at Long Beach. Her name was struck from the Navy list 1 July 1960 and she was sold to Herbert P. Sturdivant and Edward Madruga of San Diego, Calif., 17 February 1901. She was towed away for scrapping on 28 February.