From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A former name retained.
(IX - 61: l. 111'6"; b. 22'6"; dr. 14'9"; s. 8 k.)
Geoanna (IX-61), a steel auxiliary schooner, was built in 1934 by Craig Shipbuilding Co., Long Beach, Calif., and acquired by the Navy from the Maritime Commission 1 February 1942. She was placed in service 19 February 1942.
Assigned to the 11th Naval District, Geoanna performed miscellaneous duties for Port Director, San Pedro, until turned over to the Coast Guard on a temporary basis 2 July 1943. She served as a Coast Guard operational training ship until being redelivered to the Maritime Commission by the Navy 28 August 1943.She was subsequently turned over to the Army 3 September 1943.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)