From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A flaming torch.
(IX - 192: dp. 15,800 (f.); l. 445'; b. 59'; dr. 26'6"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 83; a. 1 5", 1 3"; cl. Flambeau) The third Flambeau, a tanker, was built in 1919 by Sun Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Chester, Pa., as S. B. Hunt; acquired by the Navy 8 January 1945; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant R. S. Green, USNR, in command.
Commissioned at Pearl Harbor, Flambeau was converted there for use as an oil storage ship in which capacity she served at Saipan until July, and then at Iwo Jima. She sailed from Pearl Harbor 30 December for Norfolk, Va., where she was decommissioned 6 April 1946, and returned to the War Shipping Administration.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)