From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Banshee is a female spirit of Irish and Scottish folklore.
(IX-178: dp. 4500; l. 446; b. 58'2"; dph. 33'4"; a. 1 4", 1 3")
The second Banshee (IX-178), a tanker, was built in 1917 by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa., as Harold Walker (later renamed W. G. Fairbanks), chartered from the War Shipping Administration 13 December 1944; and commissioned 25 December 1944 at Milne Bay, New Guinea, Lieutenant Commander F. H. Lemon in command.
Between January and November 1945 Banshee served as a station tanker at Humboldt Bay, New Guinea (25 January-25 March); Morotai Island, Netherlands East Indies (31 March-27 June); and Manila Bay, Luzon (August-17 November).
On 18 November 1945 Banshee steamed to Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, where she underwent pre-inactivation overhaul until 4 February 1946. She was decommissioned 5 February 1946 and returned to the War Shipping Administration the same day.
Banshee received one battle star for her service during the Balikpapan operation (28 June-7 July 1945).