From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
City of Dalhart (IX-156) was built in 1921 by Oscar Daniels Co., Tampa, Fla.; acquired by the Navy 29 February 1944; commissioned at San Francisco 2 June 1944, Lieutenant Commander C. M. Lokey, USNR, in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
City of Dalhart stood out from San Francisco 9 June 1944, carrying sailors and cargo to Pearl Harbor. Assigned as a mobile barracks for the 301st Naval Construction Battalion, she departed Pearl Harbor 16 July with the men and machinery of this unit aboard, called at Eniwetok (3-5 August), and put in to Guam 11 August, one day after the island was declared secure. She remained at Guam until 22 November, when she sailed for San Francisco arriving 19 December. City of Dalhart was decommissioned 28 January 1946, and returned to her owner.
City of Dalhart received one battle star for World War II service.