From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A large leopard-like mammal of wooded regions, typically yellowish brown marked with dark spots.
(IX - 120: dp. 3,665; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 79; a. 1 5", 1 3", 8 20mm.; T. 2-ET1-S-C3 [sic; Z-ET1-S-C3])
Jaguar (IX-120) was launched as Charles T. Yerkes under Maritime Commission contract by the California Shipbuilding Corp., San Pedro, Calif., 20 November 1943; renamed Jaguar 27 October; acquired by the Navy 15 December 1943; and commissioned that day, Lt. Comdr. T. E. Hammond in command.
After shakedown out of San Pedro, Jaguar departed 19 January 1944 for duty as a floating storage ship in the Pacific islands. She arrived New Caledonia 21 February via Wellington, New Zealand, and from there she transported vital diesel oil, aviation gasoline, and minesweeping gear to the New Hebrides and Solomons Islands. Jaguar remained on station in the Pacific, sometimes servicing islands remote but important in our push for Japan. Jaguar returned to the West Coast early in 1946 and arrived Norfolk via the Panama Canal 20 April. She decommissioned there 10 June 1946, and was turned over to the Maritime Commission. After serving as a tanker with various American lines under the name of Harry Peer in 1948 and Tini in 1949, the ship was transferred to Panamanian flag in February 1951.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)