From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Ulysses S. Grant, victorious commander of the Union Army during the Civil War, and 18th President of the United States, was born 1822 at Point Pleasant, Ohio. He graduated from West Point in 1843; served under Taylor and Scott in the Mexican War; resigned his commission 1854. On the outbreak of Civil War he was commissioned Colonel of the 21st Illinois Volunteer Infantry, later Major General of Volunteers. His wise use of power afloat in combined operations, commencing with the occupation of Paducah, Ky., won impressive victories at Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Vicksburg, and Chattanooga. His determination to win prompted Lincoln to appoint him supreme commander of the Union forces. His relentless campaign against Richmond, in which he continued to take full advantage of the North's control of the sea, forced Lee to surrender at Appomattox. In 1867 Grant received an interim appointment as Secretary of War. In 1868 he was elected to his first of two terms as President. He devoted his later years to the writing of his "memoirs," which were published in 1885, the year of his death.
(SwGbt.: t. 201; l. 171'; b. 26'; dph. 4'9"; a. 2 30-pdrs., 2 24-pdr. how.)
General Grant was built in 1863 at Monongahela, Pa.; purchased by the War Department; chartered by the Navy and commissioned at Bridgeport, Ala., 20 July 1864, Acting Ens. Joseph Watson in command.
General Grant constantly patrolled the upper Tennessee River from Bridgeport until close of the Civil War, fighting guerrillas and aiding the army in clearing Confederate troops from the region. In October 1864 she destroyed 22 small boats off Port Deposit and Crow Island. On 25 November she assisted in taking up pontoon bridges under guns of Confederate sharpshooters at Decatur, Ala. She hurled 52 shells into that town 12 December 1864 and joined General Thomas 15 January 1865 in the destructive bombardment of Guntersville, Ala. She decommissioned and was returned to the War Department 2 June 1865. She was lost when stranded in ice 18 March 1866 at Plattsmouth, Neb.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)