From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.V - p 24
An Indian word meaning "one tree" or 'fork of the river."
Naugatuck, built as a harbor tug for the Coast Guard by Defoe Boat Works, Blay City, Mich., was launched 23 March 1939. Upon completion, she commissioned and was assigned permanent station at Philadelphia, Penna. Upon arrival at Philadelphia she commenced harbor duties.
Executive Order 8929 of 1 November 1941 transferred the entire Coast Guard to the Navy. Naugatuck continued her service as a tug in the area of the Philadelphia harbor through-out the period of hostilities. When Executive Order 9666 returned the Coast Guard to the Treasury Department, the tug remained in an active status. Since 1946 she has served in the Great Lakes Region, operating chiefly out of Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. She was carried in the 1968 Coast Guard Register as a110' B Class medium harbor tug, assigned permanent station at Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.