From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.IV- p305
A Coast Guard name retained.
McLane (WSC-146) was built for the Coast Guard by American Brown Boveri Electric Corp., Camden, N.J., and commissioned 8 April 1927 as a patrol craft of the 125-foot class. Until World War II she made patrols and had rescue duty out of New London, Conn. ; Oakland and San Pedro, Calif, ; and Morehead City, N.C. In accordance with Executive Order No. 8929 of 1 November 1941, McLane began to operate as part of the Navy, serving on the Bering Sea Patrol.
While defending the Aleutians 9 July 1942 she attacked an unknown Japanese submarine. Shortly thereafter she became a buoy tender, carrying out the immense task of serving the thousands of navigational aids necessary to guide naval and merchant shipping.
McLane was returned to the Treasury Department 1 January 1946, when she began patrol duty out of Alameda, Calif. Now permanently assigned to Brownsville, Tex., she continues patrol and buoy tender operations in gulf coast waters. She was redesignated WMEC--146 in 1966.