From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.VII- p 12
A Salishan Indian word meaning "Snow peak". Tahoma is the name of a glacier on the southwestern slope of Mount Ranier in the stats of Washington
The second Tahoma (Coast Guard Cutter No. 60) was built at Bay City, Mich., by the Defoe Shipbuilding Co. Completed in 1934, the steel-hulled cutter operated on the Great Lakes between 1934 and 1941, attached to the 9th Coast Guard district and homeported at Cleveland, Ohio.
As the United States moved closed to full participation in World War II, President Roosevelt issued an executive order on 1 November 1941 transferring the Coast Guard from the Treasury Department to the Navy. Accordingly, Tahoma was sometime thereafter reclassified as a gunboat and designated WPG-80.
Although no records have been found delineating Tahoma's service during the first months following Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor, we know that by July 1942, the former cutter had left the Great Lakes to escort Allied convoys in the North Atlantic in the vicinity of Casco Bay, Maine; Ivigtut, Greenland; St. John's and Argentia, Newfoundland ; and Sydney, Nova Scotia; into the spring of 1944. The remainder of her naval service was spent in serving on weather and ice patrol duties between Greenland and Iceland and plane guard operations in the same waters. In the latter service, she alternated with the Coast Guard cutters Frederick Lee (WPC-139), Algonquin (WPG-75), and Mohawk (WPG-78) into 1945. At the time of the Japanese surrender in mid-August 1945, Tahoma was at sea on a plane guard station.
Released from duty with the Atlantic Fleet on 30 September 1945, Tahoma was returned to the Coast Guard for a resumption of peacetime service.