From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.V - p 209
A beautiful woman (the all-gifted), whom Zeus caused Hephaestus to create as punishment for the human race because Prometheus had stolen fire from heaven. She became the wife of Epimetheus, brother of Prometheus. Zeus gave her a box enclosing all human ills, which escaped over the earth when she opened the box out of curiosity. Hope, also in the box, was all she prevented from escaping.
Pandora, built for the Coast Guard by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Corporation, Manitowoc, Wisc., was launched 30 June 1934. She commissioned as a large cruising cutter, was assigned permanent station at Miami, Fla., and commenced patrol and rescue operations out of Miami in the summer of 1934.
The cutter was headquartered at Miami until 1939, when she transferred to Key West, Fla. With the outbreak of hostilities, Executive Order 8929 of 1 November 1941 transferred the Coast Guard to the Navy. Pandora served as a naval coastal patrol and rescue craft out of Key West through the war years. She returned to the Treasury Department 1 January 1946 and continued patrol and rescue duties in Gulf coastal waters until 1959, when she decommissioned and was sold for scrap.