From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.V - p 11
A daffodil whose blossoms have a short corona and are borne separately; a beautiful youth in Greek legend who, after pining away for love of his own image, was transformed into the flower which hears his name.
Narcissus was built for the Coast Guard by Marine Iron and Shipbuilding Corporation, Duluth, Minn. in 1939. Designed as a navigational aid tender, she was assigned to Wilmington, N.C, In 1940 she transferred to Portsmouth, Va.
Executive Order 8929 of 1 November 1941 transferred the Coast Guard to the Navy. Through the war years Narcissus continued to serve as a large inland buoy tender, operating out of Portsmouth. When the Coast Guard returned to the Treasury Department 1 January 1946, the tender remained in an active status. Through 1970 she has continued her buoy tending duties from her permanent station at Portsmouth.