From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.IV- p396
A semiparasitic green shrub. A Coast Guard name retained.
The third Mistletoe, originally designed for duty with the Lighthouse Service as a buoy tender, was built in 1939 by Marine Iron & Shipbuilding no., Duluth, Minn. As the Lighthouse Service became part of the Coast Guard in 1939, Mistletoe commissioned as a Coast Guard coastal buoy tender.
Her prewar operations were out of Gloucester, N.J., and Portsmouth, Va. She transferred to the Navy 1 November 1941 in accordance with Executive Order S9~9. Until 1 January 1946 she served as a coastal buoy tender in the Hampton Roads area.
Executive Order No. 9666 dated 23 December 1945 returned Mistletoe to the Treasury Department. In 1966 she was redesignated WLM--237. She has continued coastal buoy tender operations out of Gloucester City and Portsmouth into 1969.