From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.IV- p465
Any of several evergreen shrubs of the family Myrtaceae having solitary white or pinkish flowers and dark-colored berries. The second, third and fourth Myrties retained their former names.
The second Myrtle, a wooden tender, was built at Philadelphia, Pa., in 1872 ; acquired by the Navy from the Lighthouse Service, Commerce Department, under an Executive Order of 11 April 1917 ; and assigned to the 3d Naval District, New York. She operated under this district command during her entire period of naval service. Myrtle was returned to the US. Lighthouse Service by an Executive Order of 1 July 1919.