From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.III, p 43
General Nathaniel Greene, born in Warwick, RI., 7 August 1742, was elected to the colonial assembly in 1770 arid became a strong champion of colonial liberty and an early advocate of independence, he commanded the militia during the siege of Boston ; and served with Washington at Trenton, Brandywine, Germantown, and Valley Forge. He rendered outstanding service as Quartermaster General (1778-80), then took command of southern forces in the Carolinas campaign. By cunning strategy, he divided the forces under Cornwallis and turned the tide in the Carolinas. In this feat he was aided by his lieutenants, notably Daniel Morgan, Light-Horse Harry Lee, and partisan bands under Francis Marion, Thomas Sumter and Andrew Pickens. When he sold his estates to honor personal notes given to secure supplies for the Continental Army, the grateful people of Georgia voted to give him a plantation.
The first General Greene was a revenue cutter built by William Price at Baltimore, Md., in 1797. She was fitted out at Philadelphia in the summer of 1798 to operate under orders of the Navy during the quasi-war with France. Commanded by Captain George Price, USRCS. she first searched for armed French ships between Cape Henry and Long Island Sound. Sailing from New York. she joined Delaware off Cuba 5 February 1799 to assist in the protection of merchantmen engaged in the Havana trade. The two ships jointly captured schooner Marsouin (Porpoise) 5 March 1709. General Greene returned to Philadelphia about eight weeks later. On 20 May 1799 she was reported too small to be useful in the Navy. She resumed operations under the Revenue Cutter Service at. Philadelphia. Pa.