From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A Coast Guard name retained.
Grant was a revenue cutter built in 1870 and 1871 by Pusey & Jones Corp., Wilmington, Del. She served the Revenue Cutter Service in both the Atlantic and Pacific preventing smuggling and protecting shipping. At the outbreak of the War with Spain, she was ordered to cooperate with the Navy 11 April 1898. Throughout the conflict, she patrolled the Pacific coast and was returned to the Treasury Department in August 1898. Grant continued to serve the Revenue Cutter Service in the Pacific until sold to A. A. Cragin of Seattle, Wash., 28 November 1908.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)