From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A large genus of Old World tropical trees and shrubs of the madder family, having showy, fragrant, white or yellow flowers.
(ScStr: dp. 217; l. 117'; b. 20'; dr. 6'; cpl. 15)
Gardenia was a wooden lighthouse tender built in 1879 at East Deering, Maine; acquired 4 May 1917; and commissioned at New York 13 September 1917.
Assigned to the 3d Naval District, Gardenia served as harbor control and guard ship from her base at Rosebank, Staten Island until May 1919. She was returned to the Lighthouse Service 1 July 1919.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)