From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Former name retained.
Fire Island (Light Vessel No. 68) was lent to the Navy in 1917 by the Department of Commerce Lighthouse Service, and served in the 3d Naval District, stationed at Fire Island in New York Bay. On 1 July 1919 Fire Island was returned to Lighthouse Service operation.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)