General Greene


t. 654;
124' 3";
b. 34' 8";
dph. 17' 4";
cpl. 250;
a. 24 12-pdrs, 6 6-pdrs

The second General Greene was built under government contract by Benjamin Talman and James de Wolf, Warren, R.I.; launched 21 January 1799; and place under command of Captain Christopher R. Perry. The frigate sailed 2 June 1799, joinin g Governor Jay in convoying five merchantmen bound to Havana. Damage suffered in a heavy gale caused her to put in at Havana for repairs. Her crew was struck down with yellow fever. More than 20 perished and she returned to Newport on 27 July with 37 men in various stages of recovery. After a thorough cleaning, fumigation, and change of ballast, she departed Newport 23 September 1799 to take station at Cap Francis, San Domingo.

General Greene remained on San Domingo Station for the following 6 months. In company with Boston 1 December 1799, she assisted in the capture of schooner Flying Fish and retook the American schooner Weymouth c aptured by French privateer Hope. Much of her time was spent watching over the rebellion against General Toussaint in Haiti. She blockaded the port of Jacmel to cut off supplies to the revolutionist. The frigate gave direct gunfire support to To ussaint's army in the capture of Jacmel 27 February 1800. She remained there as a possible haven for American citizens until 27 April; then sailed with two representatives sent by General Toussaint for audience with the President of the United States. Touching New Orleans, she embarked General Wilkinson and his family for transport home. She then proceeded as escort to 12 merchantmen bound to Havana, thence to Newport, R.I. where she arrived 21 July 1800.

General Greene's crew was discharged and she remained idle in Newport until Captain Perry was retired under the Peace Establishment Act of 3 April 1801. She was laid up in ordinary at the Washington Navy Yard. The frigate served as a floa ting sick bay for frigate Constellation in 1803 and was reduced to a sheer hulk in 1805. Her hulk was destroyed by flames 24 August 1814 when the British entered Washington.