From the “Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships,” 
(1968) Vol. 3, pp.344-345.


Displacement:  1,200 t.
Length:  306’
Beam:  36’7”
Draft:  8’7”
Speed:  21 k.
Complement:  186
Armament:  3 3”; 2 40mm; 8 20mm; 3 21” torpedo tubes;
	2 depth charge tracks;
	8 hedge charge projectors;
	1 hedge hog
Class:  EDSALL

	The first Holder (DE-401) was launched by Brown 
Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Tex., 27 November 1943; sponsored 
by Mrs. Annette Holder, mother of Lieutenant (junior grade) 
Holder, and commissioned 18 January 1944, Lt. Comdr. G. Cook 
in command.

	After completion of her shakedown cruise, HOLDER 
departed 24 March escorting a convoy bound for Mediterranean 
ports.  Proceeding along the coast of Algeria, the convoy 
was followed 10 and 11 April by German planes and, just 
before midnight 11 April, it was attacked by torpedo 
bombers.  HOLDER and the other escorts immediately opened 
fire and began making smoke, but a torpedo struck the escort 
vessel amidships on the port side, causing two heavy 
explosions.  Though fires spread and flooding was serious, 
HOLDER's crew remained at their guns to drive off the 
attackers without damage to the convoy.  Alert damage 
control kept the ship seaworthy and she arrived in tow at 
Oran for repairs.  There it was decided to tow her to New 
York, where she arrived safely 9 June 1944.  She 
decommissioned at New York Navy Yard 13 September 1944, and 
the forward part of her hull was used to repair destroyer 
escort MENGES (DE-320).  The remainder was sold for scrap to 
John A. Witte, Station Island, N.Y., 19 June 1947.

	HOLDER received one battle star for World War II 

Transcribed by Michael Hansen