From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Royal Navy name retained.
(DE - 270: dp. 1,140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 11'; s. 21 k.; cpl. 156; a. 3 3", 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 2 dct.; cl. Evarts)
Foley (DE-270) was laid down as Gillette (DE-270) (q. v.), allocated to the United Kingdom, and renamed Foley. She was launched as HMS Foley on 19 May 1943 by Boston Navy Yard, Boston, Mass., and served in the Royal Navy throughout World War II. On 22 August 1945 she was transferred to the United States Navy at Harwich, England, and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant. S. M. Strauss, USNR, in command. On 28 August she sailed to Trinity Bay and the following day joined TG 21.3 en route to the United States. She called briefly at Argentia, Newfoundland, and arrived at the Philadelphia Navy Yard on 10 September. Foley was decommissioned there on 19 October 1945. She was scrapped in June 1946.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)