Thomas James Reeves, born in Thomaston, Conn., 9 December 1895, enlisted in the Naval Reserve as Electrician third class on 20 July 1917. Released from duty 21 July 1919, he was recalled to active duty and was transferred to the regular Navy 16 April 1920 and served until discharged 21 August 1921. On 12 October 1921 he reenlisted in the Navy making it his career. Advanced through the rates to chief radioman, Reeves was serving in California when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941. During that attack the mechanized ammunition hoists in the battleship were put out of commission. Reeves "... on his own initiative, in a burning passageway, assisted in the maintenance of an ammunition supply by hand to the antiaircraft guns until he was overcome by smoke and fire which resulted in his death." For his distinguished conduct, RMC Reeves was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.
Joseph Mason Reeves, born in Tampico, III., on 20 November 1872, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1894. Initially assigned to San Francisco, he served in Oregon during the Spanish-American War, participating in the action against Admiral Cervera's fleet at Santiago in June and July 1898. After the turn of the century, he served in San Francisco, Wisconsin, and Ohio in addition to tours ashore at Newport and Annapolis, where he was an instructor in the Naval Academy's Department of Physics and Chemistry, 1906-08. Following duties as ordnance officer on board New Hampshire, he served as ordnance officer in the staff of the Commander in Chief, U.S. Atlantic Fleet. Assignment to the Board of Inspection and Survey and a tour as Commanding Officer, Naval Coal Depot, Tiburon, Calif., followed. In April 1913 he assumed command of Jupiter, the Navy's first electrically propelled vessel. Detached in April 1914, he commanded St. Louis and various other ships until assigned to Oregon, June 1915, as Commanding Officer. Detached for shore duty at the Mare Island Navy Yard, in June 1916, he commanded Maine during World War I, earning the Navy Cross for "exceptionally meritorious service" during that tour. After the war, he served as Naval Attache at Rome and in April 1921 assumed command of Pittsburg. Captain of the Mare Island Navy Yard at the end of that year, he commanded North Dakota, 1922-23, then attended and afterward served on the staff of the War College at Newport. After October 1925, he twice served as Commander, Aircraft Squad- rons, Battle Fleet, interspersed with duty on the General Board, June 1929-June 1930. Fifteen months later he became Senior Member of the Board of Inspection and Survey, Pacific Coast Section. Another tour at Mare Island followed and in June 1933 he became Commander, Battleships, Battle Force, with the rank of vice admiral. Assigned Commander Battle Force, U.S. Fleet, with the rank of admiral, the following month, he was designated Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Fleet 26 February 1934. In June 1936 he was ordered to Washington, D.C., where he served on the General Board until 23 November. Retired 7 days later he was recalled to active duty 13 May 1940. Advanced to vice admiral on the retired list, he served in the Office of the Secretary of the Navy from 21 May 1940 until 23 December 1946. He died at Bethesda, Md., 25 March 1948.
The first Reeves (DE-156) was named for Electrician's Mate, Third Class, Thomas James Reeves; the second (DLG-24) for Vice Adm. Joseph Mason Reeves.
(DE-156: dp. 1,740 (f.); l 306'; b 36'10"; dr. 9'5" (mean); s. 24 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 2 40mm., 8 20mm., 2 dct., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 3 21" tt.; cl. Buckley)
The first Reeves (DE-156) was laid down by the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Va., 7 February 1943; launched 23 April 1943; sponsored by Miss Mary Anne Reeves, niece of Chief Radioman Thomas J. Reeves; and commissioned 9 June 1943, Lt. Comdr. Mathias S. Clark in command.
Following shakedown, Reeves returned to Norfolk and on 16 August got underway on her first transatlantic escort run, a slow convoy to Casablanca. Arriving at New York 6 weeks later, she underwent availability and further training, at Casco Bay, then returned to escort duty and for the next 12 months shepherded fast tanker convoys between New York and the United Kingdom. On 18 March 1944, after SS Seakay had been sunk, Reeves rescued 83 of the merchantman's 84 man crew. For heroism during that rescue, one of the escort's coxswain's, E. E. Angus, was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal. The following day, Reeves took Donnell (DE-56) in tow after she had been torpedoed, stood by until relieved by tugs, then continued on carrying the damaged escort's more seriously wounded men.
Through D-day and the summer of 1944, Reeves continued to escort fast convoys. On 23 September she completed her last Atlantic escort mission and entered the Philadelphia Navy Yard for conversion to a high-speed transport.
Redesignated APD-52 on 25 September, Reeves emerged from the shipyard 23 December and after amphibious training, headed for the Panama Canal and duty in the Pacific. Arriving at Ulithi 26 February 1945, she continued on to the Philippines in early March to rehearse for Operation "Iceberg", the invasion of the Ryukyus.
On 26 March Reeves arrived off the Kerama Retto invasion area and, after initial duties as a standby ship for U.D.T. operations, shifted to antisubmarine and antiaircraft sereening duties. She served on that harrowing duty for 109 days interrupted only for a fast convoy to Ulithi and a brief availability in the Philippines. Detached 18 August, the APD delivered men, mail, and provisions to ships of the fleet, then sailed north to Japan. There, into October, she assisted in the repatriation of former POW's, then supported the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey mission assigned to the Nagasaki area.
Reeves sailed for the United States 26 November and, after stops in the Volcano, Marshall, and Hawaiian islands, arrived at San Diego 23 December. Three days later she continued on, and, on 10 January 1946, she arrived at Boston to begin inactivation. Assigned to the Florida Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet, she decommissioned 30 July at Green Cove Springs where she remained until struck from the Navy list 1 June 1960 and transferred to the Government of Ecuador for use as an electric generator plant.
Reeves earned one battle star during World War II.