From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Claud Ashton Jones, born 7 October 1885 in Fire Creek, W. Va., graduated from the Naval Aeademy in 1906, and after several years of duty at sea, did graduate study leading to a master of science degree at Harvard lJniversity. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroism while serving as engineering officer in Memphis when his ship was wrecked by a hurricane off Santo Domingo City 29 August 1916. Most of his remaining service was in engineering billets ashore and afloat, with a tour of duty as assistant naval attache at London. As Rear Admiral from 9 October 1941, he served in the Bureau of Ships throughout World War II, working in the shipbuilding program, and as an assistant chief. For his exceptionally meritorius service he was awarded the Legion of Merit. Rear Admiral Jones died in Charleston, W. Va., 8 August 1948.
Claud Jones (DE-1033) was launched 27 May 1958 by Avondale Marine Ways, Inc., Avondale, La.; sponsored by Mrs. M. R. J. Wyllie; and commissioned 10 February 1959, Lieutenant Commander W. M. Cone in command.
After training at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Claud Jones cruised to northern Europe between June and August 1959, returning to Key West, Fla., her home port. During 1960, she operated along the east coast and in the Caribbean, with a voyage to northern European waters during NATO exercises in September and October.