(Torpedo Boat Destroyer No. 9: dp. 430; l. 246'3"; b. 22'3"; dr. 6'8"; s. 30 k.; cpl 72; a. 2 3", 6-pdrs., 2 18" tt.; cl. Bainbridge)
The first Macdonough (Torpedo Boat Destroyer No. 9) was laid down 10 April 1899 by the Fore River
Ship & Engine Co., Weymouth, Mass.; launched 24 December 1900; sponsored by Miss Lucy Shaler
Macdonough, granddaughter of Commodore Thomas Macdonough; and commissioned 6 September 1903; Lt.
Charles S. Bookwalter in command.
After shakedown, Macdonough spent 7 months as a training ship for midshipmen at the Naval
Academy, Annapolis. On 31 May 1904 she joined the Coast Squadron, North Atlantic Fleet and for the next 3
years operated along the east coast and in the Caribbean. She was ordered to the Reserve Torpedo Fleet at
Norfolk 16 May 1907 and served with that fleet until the following year.
Placed in full commission 21 November 190S8, Macdonough became the flagship of the 3d Torpedo
Flotilla and sailed for Pensacola, Fla. She participated in operations out of that port until the following spring
when she returned to the east coast. During the summer of 1909, she cruised with the Atlantic Torpedo
Squadron off New England She then returned to the Gulf of Mexico and steamed up the Mississippi River for the
St. Louis Centennial Celebration. Returning to the east coast in December, she was placed in reserve at
Charleston on the 16th. Macdonough took part in summer exercises during the summer of 1910 and returned to
Charleston, where, with the exception of two cruises to New York, she remained for the next 2 years. In 1913
and 1914, she conducted summer cruises for the Massachusetts Naval Militia
On 29 January 1916, Macdonough was detached from the Reserve Torpedo Flotilla and assigned to
the Sub marine Flotilla, Atlantic Fleet. For the next 2 years she operated with submarines in maneuvers and
exercises from Pensacola to Newport. Following this duty, she commenced, 27 March 1917 a recruiting cruise
along the Mississippi River. In mid-June the ship departed New Orleans for Charleston where she joined the
Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet. Until January 1918, she performed screening assignments off the east coast.
On 16 January 1918, she departed Philadelphia for Brest, France, arriving 20 February She remained off the
coast of France, providing escort and patrol services, until 20 May 1919. Sailing for the United States, she
arrived Philadelphia 24 June and remained in that port until decommissioned 3 September. Her name was
struck from the Naval Register 7 November 1919 and her hulk was sold for scrapping 10 March 1920.