Stringham  II

		(Destroyer No. 83: dp. 1,284 (full), l. 314'4"; b. 30'11 1/4"; dr. 9'2" (mean), s. 34.8 k., cpl. 103; 
a. 4 4", 2 1-pdr., 12 21" tt.; cl. Wickes)

The second Stringham (Destroyer No. 83) was laid down on 19 September 1917 at Quincy Mass., by the Fore 
River Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 30 March 1918; sponsored by Mrs. Edward B. Hill and commissioned on 2 
July 1918, Comdr. N. E. Nichols in command.

Following commissioning, Stringham was assigned to convoy escort and antisubmarine duty through the end 
of World War I. Upon her return to the United States in 1919, she was assigned to Destroyer Division (DesDiv) 6 
of the Atlantic Fleet Destroyer Force. Except for a six-month period from December 1919 to June 1920 when she 
was in reduced commission, Stringham remained fully active with the Atlantic Fleet until the middle of 1922. 
During that time,
alpha-numeric hull numbers were adopted by the Navy; and Stringham was redesignated DD-83 effective 17 
July 1920. On 2 June 1922, she was decommissioned at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.

	She remained inactive until 1940, when she was apparently moved to the Norfolk Navy Yard for 
conversion to a high-speed transport. On 2 August 1940, Stringham was redesignated APD 6; and, on 11 
December 1940, she was recommissioned at Norfolk, whence she operated until mid-1942. Her duties 
consisted primarily of escorting coastal convoys from point to point along the eastern seaboard and to various 
bases in the Caribbean. On 18 April 1942, Stringham attacked an enemy submarine but could not confirm a kill 
even though heavy black oil surfaced soon after her attack. On the following day, she put into Norfolk and 
participated in amphibious exercises in Chesapeake Bay through the first week in July.

	On 6 July, she got underway from Norfolk in company with a convoy bound for the Panama Canal. She 
transited the canal on the 13th, reported to the Commander, Southeastern Pacific, and continued west. After 
stops in the Society and Fiji Islands, she reached Espiritu Santo, in the New Hebrides, on 14 August. Two days 
later, she put to sea on the first of many resupply voyages to help bolster the marines clinging precariously to 
the beachhead on Guadalcanal.

	The Guadalcanal campaign was unique among the amphibious operations conducted in the Pacific 
during World War II. Neither the United States nor Japan enjoyed the overwhelming naval superiority which in 
almost every other case ensured victory for the greater force Relative equality made the naval forces of each 
side a constant threat to the supply lines of the other. Consequently, both sides relied upon the high-speed 
transport, converted destroyers like Stringham, which were well armed for transports and fast enough to evade 
more powerfully armed warships. While the contribution of the larger elements of the American Fleet cannot be 
overlooked, the struggle for Guadalcanal was to a great extent the battle of the high-speed transport. 
Stringham and her sister APD's succeeded where their Japanese counterparts failed. They kept the marines 

	On 23 August, during Stringham's second run to Guadalcanal, a torpedo passed her close astern; and 
she immediately charged to the attack. She dropped 11 depth charges, forced the submarine to broach, and 
then lost contact. Although her crew thought at the time they had sunk the submarine, subsequent checking 
failed to verify their victory. Not long after her scrape with the sub, Stringham was ordered out to join the group 
of ships attempting to tow Blue (DD-387), torpedoed the previous evening, into Tulagi. The imminence of the 
Battle of the Eastern Solomons, however, forced that weak formation to abandon Blue and seek shelter. 
Accordingly, she went to the bottom at 2223 on the 23d. Stringham resumed her supply runs in the Solomons 
until 5 October, when she got underway from New Caledonia to return to the California coast.

	After six weeks in the Mare Island Navy Yard, she got underway for the South Pacific. Her return to 
action, however, was short-lived for while operating in Pepasala Bay in the Russell Islands on 26 February 
1943 a heavy squall forced her aground on a reef. In maneuvering clear of the reef, she was forced to back 
down to avoid a collision with Humphreys (DD-236) and damaged her starboard propeller. After emergency 
repairs at Tulagi, she was routed back to Mare Island, where she arrived on 16 April.

	Over the next six months, Stringham advanced up the Solomons staircase with the American forces. In 
mid-August, she participated in the landings at Vella Lavella in the central Solomons. That operation cut the 
Japanese supply lines to Kolombangara and delivered vital air bases to the Americans. On 27 October she 
and six other APD's, along with various smaller
ships, put a force of New Zelanders ashore at Mono and Stirling islands in the Treasury island sub-group. 
November found her supporting the assault on Bougainville at Empress Augusta Bay.

	On the day after Christmas, Stringham joined the American forces which outflanked the Bismarck 
Barrier at Cape Gloucester, near the western terminus of New Britain. From that position, they could move in 
two directions west to pounce upon the back of the New Guinea or north to the Admiralties to isolate 
Kavieng and Rabaul. Stringham participated in one operation in each direction. On 2 January 1944, she 
supported the forces which landed at Saidor, New Guinea; and, in March, she assisted in the invasion of Emirau 
in the Admiralties. Between these two operations, Stringham helped land troops in the Green Islands, the 
northernmost subgroup of the Solomons, located between Buka and New Ireland.

	During the spring of 1944, American military thinking focused increasingly upon the Central Pacific 
invasion route to Japan. Accordingly, Stringham returned to Hawaii with marines embarked; and both she and 
her passengers commenced preparations for the invasion of the Marianas. The initial waves of assault troops 
stormed the beaches at Saipan on 15 June. Stringham discharged her marines the following day and patrolled 
off Saipan throughout the Battle of the Philippine Sea on 19 and 20 June. On 22 June, Underwater Demolition 
Team (UDT) 7 shifted to her from Brooks (APD-10) for the Tinian phase of the Marianas operation. Until the 
landings, the high-speed transport conducted sporadic bombardment and harassment fire on Tinian. On 10 
July, she sent her UDT men ashore to reconnoiter the two potential landing sites; and, just before the actual 
assault began on 24 July, her frogmen participated in a daylight feint at Tinian Town to divert Japanese 
attention from the actual landing sites. On the 28th, she completed her work with UDT 7 in the Marianas and 
headed for Espiritu Santo, via Eniwetok Atoll.

	Stringham was at Purvis Bay, Florida Island, in the midst of exercises preparatory to the invasion of 
the Palaus when UDT 7 rejoined her on 5 September. By the 12th, she and her frogmen were off the coast of 
Angaur with Task Group 32.5. At 1035, she disembarked the UDT men at Peleliu to clear a path through heavy 
minefields. That afternoon, she towed Noa (DD-343) to Kossol Passage, then returned to work with the UDT 
teams until 27 September, when she headed for Manus. There she was moored alongside Clemson (APD-31). 
On the night of 3 October, a fire broke out on Clemson and swept across Stringham amidships and aft, igniting 
the UDT teams' rubber boats and bags of explosives. Stringham drifted from her moorings after the lines were 
cut, and her crew finally got the fire under control

	Stringham returned to the United States for overhaul, repairs, and alterations. She did not return to the 
western Pacific until 17 March 1945. She joined the southern defense group at Saipan and sortied with it for 
Okinawa on the 26th. The high-speed transport arrived off Okinawa on 2 April, the day following the initial 
assault, and screened the transport area until the 7th, when she headed for Guam. During that time, Stringham 
took two kamikazes under fire, one on the 3d and one on the 6th. The former succeeded in crashing LST-599 
while the latter gave up his plunge in the face of Stringham's heavy antiaircraft fire, dove on a destroyer, but 
missed both American ships.

	Stringham screened another convoy from Guam to the Ryukyus, reaching Okinawa on the 22d. She 
remained in the vicinity for five relatively uneventful days; then headed back to Guam. On this voyage, she 
rendered assistance to the hospital ship, Comfort
(AH-6), which had been crashed by a Japanese suicide plane. Comfort was able to resume course without 
assistance, but Stringham shepherded her until relieved by Wickes (DD-578).

	While at Guam, Stringham was rammed by La Vallette (DD-448), a battle casualty. The APD's 
starboard side was damaged, as was her bridge, her forward crew's compartment, and much of her electrical 
equipment. Because of this, Stringham was ordered back to San Diego for extensive repairs. On 19 June she 
entered San Diego and began conversion back to a destroyer; and, on the 25th, she resumed her former 
designation, DD-83. In August, the end of the war brought a halt to Stringham's conversion. Later that month, it 
was determined that she would be decommissioned at Philadelphia. In September, she sailed from San Diego, 
transited the Panama Canal, and proceeded to Philadelphia, where she reported for duty to the Commandant, 
4th Naval District, on 26 September. She was decommissioned on 9 November 1945, and her name was struck 
from the Navy list on 5 December 1945. Stringham was scrapped at Philadelphia in March 1946.

Stringham was awarded nine battle stars for World War II service.