(DD-837: dp. 2,425; l. 390'6"; b. 41'1", dr. 18'6", s. 35 k.; cpl. 367; a. 6 5", 12 40mm., 5 20mm., 10 21"tt.; cl. Gearing)

Sarsfield ( DD-837) was laid down on 15 January 1945 by the Bath Iron Works Co., Bath, Me., Iaunched on 27 May 1945, sponsored by Mrs. Eugene S. Sarsfield, and commissioned at Boston Naval Shipyard on 31 July 1945, Comdr. Hepburn A. Pierce in command.

After completion of her fitting-out, Sarsfield sailed on 24 August, for Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and shakedown training. She returned to Boston on 30 September and, after post shakedown alterations, got underway, on 25 October, for New York and the Navy Day celebration. Following her stay at New York, she participated in training exercises in the Chesapeake Bay - Virginia Capes area until 13 December, when she entered the Brooklyn Navy Yard for installation of some experimental equipment.

On 1 February 1946, Sarsfield sailed from New York bound for Key West, Florida. She arrived in Key West on 4 February to begin two decades with the Operational Development Force located there. Attached to the Surface Antisubmarine Development Detachment, Atlantic Fleet, she participated in the testing and evaluation of new weapons and equipment and made periodic training cruises in the Caribbean and in the Gulf of Mexico. In addition to the work she did for the Operational Development Force, Sarsfield also served the Naval Mine Countermeasures Station at Panama City, Fla., from 9 to 14 February 1947, conducted operations for the Underwater Sound Laboratory at New London, Conn., from 3 September 1953 until 18 October 1954, and operated out of Newport, R.I., between 8 July and 4 August 1955.

In 1956, she embarked VIP's for ASW demonstrations out of Key West and, in 1957, underwent overhaul at the Norfolk Navy Yard. On 6 February 1958, she joined units of Escort Squadron 14 at Charleston S.C., for antisubmarine exercises. Following a cruise as plane guard to carrier, Leyte (CV-32), in early 1958, she returned to the Operational Development Force at Key West on 15 February. In the fall of 1958, Sarsfield entered Charleston Naval Shipyard for another overhaul. She departed Charleston on 5 January 1959 and conducted five weeks of refresher training out of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, after which she returned to Key West and further experimental work.

This employment, testing antisubmarine detection and destruction devices, continued until January 1961 when she was deployed, with shore bombardment responsibilities, to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Later that year, in June, Caribbean unrest again required the Navy to deploy ships. Sarsfield cruised off the coast of Hispaniola. In September 1961, Sarsfield took station in the Atlantic as a recovery ship for Project Mercury, the manned space flight program then in progress.

In January 1962, she again took station for Project Mercury, this time off the coast of Africa. In August, she entered Boston Naval Shipyard for almost a year of Fleet Rehabilitation and Modernization ( FRAM ) overhaul. Before leaving Boston, in June 1963, she received several new weapons systems, including ASROC, DASH, long-range, distant air search radar and long range sonar. From Boston, she sailed to Guantanamo Bay for refresher training; then, to Charleston for another six months of weapons and sonar modifications. At the completion of these latest alterations, she cruised the Caribbean and then returned to Key West and the Operational Test and Evaluation Detachment. This employment continued until 1966. On 15 July, she again commenced overhaul including still more sonar and radar changes.

The overhaul was completed on 30 January 1967 and, by 7 February, she was back in Key West. Sarsfield spent the remainder of the month engaged in refresher training out of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. In April, she joined Forrestal (CVA-59) for ASW exercises; then, returned to Key West on 1 May to operate with the Fleet Sonar School. June and July were occupied by fleet exercises and NATO exercise, "Lashout." On 21 September, Sarsfield departed Key West for the Mediterranean and, on 17 December, returned home.

In early 1968, she operated off the Virginia Capes and in the Caribbean. In July 1968, she deployed to the Middle East. She called at many exotic ports on her voyage along the coasts of Africa and the Indian Ocean littoral. While on this tour of duty, Sarsfield also had the unique opportunity to participate in a spontaneous exercise with units of the Imperial Ethiopian Navy and the French Air Force. By 30 December, she was underway for the western hemisphere and, on 10 January 1969, arrived in Mayport, Fla.

Sarsfield remained in the western hemisphere for all of 1969 and 1970. During the first seven months of 1969, she resumed Caribbean and Atlantic operations. On 28 July she commenced UNITAS X, an exercise involving elements of the United States, Brazilian, Argentine, Colombian, Chilean, Ecuadorian, Peruvian, Venezuelan and Urguayan navies. In December, upon the completion of this exercise, during which she visited ports in all the countries named, Sarsfield returned to Mayport to prepare for overhaul. From January to June 1970, she was at Charleston, S.C. undergoing overhaul. In June, she commenced eight weeks of refresher training out of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba; and, upon completing it, returned to local operations out of Mayport for the rest of the year.

In January 1971, Sarsfield again deployed to the Middle East, entering the Indian Ocean in February. By 29 June, she was back at Mayport and resumed normal operations for the rest of 1971 and for the first three months of 1972.

On 13 April 1972, she got underway for an entirely different deployment. Proceeding via the Panama Canal, she arrived in Subic Bay, P.I., on 11 May. Throughout the summer, Sarsfield plied the waters of the Gulf of Tonkin, first as plane guard for Saratoga (CV-60), then, patrolling off Hainan Island. She also participated in shore bombardment missions. She departed the gunline on 12 September; stopped at Hong Kong for six days of liberty (15 to 21 September) and at Yokosuka, Japan, for four days (25 to 29 September); and then, got underway to return to the United States.

She entered San Diego on 13 October, transited the Panama Canal on 21 October, and reentered Mayport on the 25th. Upon her return, she resumed local operations out of Mayport. This employment continued until 29 May 1973, when she weighed anchor to join the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean.

She sailed with the 6th Fleet until 22 September, when she passed through the Straits of Gibraltar to join NATO units in exercises in the Bay of Biscay and in the North Sea. On 10 October, she entered the Firth of Forth and, the next day, berthed at Edinburgh, Scotland. Two days later, at the outbreak of the Arab-Israeli War, she departed Scotland to reenter the Mediterranean with John F. Kennedy (CVA-67) and sped to the eastern end of that sea. After more than a month of uncertainty, Sarsfield put into Athens Greece, on 14 November for a five-day tender and leave period.

On 18 November, she was ordered to rejoin John F. Kennedy for the voyage back to the United States. She arrived at Mayport on 1 December and spent the rest of 1973 in a standdown and leave status. She remained in port at Mayport until May 1974 at which time she resumed Atlantic seaboard operations. As of July 1974 Sarsfield is in port at Mayport.

Sarsfield earned one battle star for service in the Vietnam War.