dp. 2,050 l. 376'6" b. 39'8" dr. 17'9" s. 36 k. cpl. 320; a. 5 5", 10 21" tt., 6 dcp., 2 dct. cl. FLETCHER

CALLAGHAN (DD-792) was launched 1 August 1943 by Bethlehem Steel Co., San Pedro, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. D. J. Callaghan; commissioned 27 November 1943 Commander F. J. Johnson in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.

CALLAGHAN sailed from the west coast 5 February 1944 to plunge into action with fast-striking 5th Fleet in smashing air raids on the Palaus, Yap, Ulithi, and Woleai from 30 March to 1 April. Based on Manus in April, CALLAGAHAN supported the Hollandia operation through important services as picket ship during air strikes, and screening the valuable tankers.

From June to August 1944 Callaghan provided screen for escort carriers softening up, and later supporting the invasions of Saipan, Tinian, and Guam. At Saipan CALLAGHAN's guns joined in driving off a heavy Japanese air attack on 17 June, helping splash three enemy planes. FANSHAW BAY (CVE-70) was struck by a bomb in this attack, and CALLAGAHAN shielded the crippled escort carrier safely back to Eniwetok. Late in August CALLAGHAN began operations as escort for air strikes on the Palaus, Mindanao, Luzon, and the Central Philippines in support of the invasion of the Palaus, a stepping stone to the Philippines.

With the long-awaited return to the Philippines scheduled for mid- October 1944, CALLAGAHAN steamed in the screen of the carrier force conducting essential preliminary neutralization of Japanese airfields in Formosa and Okinawa. During a heavy enemy air attack on 14 October, CALLAGAHAN joined in downing several planes. Sailing on to stand guard off the invasion area on Leyte, CALLAGHAN's force contributed air power in the decisive Battle for Leyte Gulf, which insured the Allied advance in the Philippines against the desperate Japanese efforts to break up the landings. After pursuing Japanese cripples fleeing north, CALLAGHAN returned to support the Philippine operations, in company with the 3d Fleet, for air strikes on Luzon. En route, on 3 November, RENO (CL-96) was torpedoed, and CALLAGHAN stood by to protect the stricken cruiser until relief forces arrived, when CALLAGHAN was able to rejoin her group for the strikes. Through December, she participated in more air strikes on the Central Philippines, and in January 1945, the destroyer sailed with the 3d Fleet for air raids on Formosa, Luzon, Indo-China, Hong Kong, and the Nansei Shoto.

Through the following months, CALLAGHAN operated at the same active pace, screening carrier strikes pounding Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and the Tokyo area. CALLAGHAN assisted in sinking a Japanese picket boat on 18 February, and on 3 March joined the bombardment of Parece Vela. In late March she joined a battleship force at Ulithi, and from this base sailed for the preinvasion bombardment of Okinawa, where she threw harassing fire ashore during the night of 26 March. This initiated prolonged fire support and screening duty in the dangerous waters off Okinawa during which, in addition to invaluable aid to the troops, CALLAGHAN joined in the sinking of a Japanese midget submarine and in the kill of three dive bombers.

On 9 July 1945, CALLAGHAN took station on the embattled radar picket line, where on 28 July she drove off a biplane intent on suicide with well-directed fire, but the plane, skimming low and undetected, returned to strike CALLAGHAN on the starboard side. It exploded and one of the plane's bombs penetrated the after engine room. The destroyer flooded, and the fires which ignited antiaircraft ammunition prevented nearby ships from rendering aid. CALLAGAHAN sank at 0235, 28 July 1945, with the loss of 47 members of her valiant crew.

CALLAGAHAN received eight battle stars for World War II service.