(DM-32: dp. 2,200; l. 376'6"; b. 40'10"; dr. 18'10"; s. 34 k.-; cpl. 363; a. 6 5", 12 40mm.; cl. Robert H. Smith)
Lindsey (DM-32) was laid down as DD-771 12 September 1943 by Bethlehem Steel Co., San Pedro Calif.; launched 5 March 1944, sponsored by Mrs. Eugene E. Lindsey, widow of Lt. Comdr. Lindsey; reclassified DM-32 19 July 1944; and commissioned 20 August 1944, Comdr. T. E. Chambers in command.
After shakedown off southern California, the new destroyer minelayer sailed from San Francisco 25 November 1944 via Pearl Harbor for Ulithi, arriving 3 February 1945. Underway from Ulithi the morning of 8 February, Lindsey steamed toward Iwo Jima. Operating off Iwo 17 to 19 February, Lindsey knocked Out six enemy guns ashore and provided covering fire as minesweepers cleared the harbor. On the 23d she returned to Ulithi to prepare for landings on Okinawa.
Underway 19 March, Lindsey arrived off Okinawa 24 March and swept the harbor for the inbound transports. Then as the marines gained a foothold, the ship bombarded Japanese gun installations and transferred wounded soldiers to hospital ships. On the afternoon of 12 April, Lindsey experienced a mass kamikaze attack. Her gunners scored repeated hits on seven onrushing dive bombers, but two "Vals", damaged and out of control, crashed Lindsey killing 57 sailors and wounding 57 more. The explosion from the second "Val" ripped some 60 feet off her bow. Only the "all back full" ordered by Commander Chambers prevented the pressure of inrushing water from collapsing the fire room bulkhead and sinking the. ship.
Towed to Kerama Retto the same night, Lindsey remained in the lagoon for 2 weeks repairing battle damage. On 28 April she departed under tow for Guam, where, after arrival 6 May, she received a temporary bow. She sailed under her own power 8 July for the east coast via Pearl Harbor and the Panama Canal, arriving Norfolk 19 August 1945.
After extensive repairs at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Lindsey steamed 6 March 1946 for Charleston, S.C., and arrived the next day. Lindsey decommissioned 26 May 1946 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. She is berthed at Philadelphia into 1969.Lindsey received two battle stars for World War II service.