(DD-762: dp. 2200 l. 376'5" b. 41', dr. 15'8", s. 34 k. cpl. 336; a. 6 5", 16 40mm., 10 20mm, 5 21" tt., 6 dcp., 2 dct.; cl.Allen M. Sumner)
The third Henley (DD-702) was launched 8 April 1946 by Bethlehem Steel Co., San Francisco, sponsored by Mrs. George S. Wheaton, a descendant of Captain John D. Henley; and commissioned 8 October 1946, Comdr. Dwight L. Moody in command.
After shakedown in the Pacific, Henley headed east, reporting to the Sonar School at Key West 19 February 1947 for a 5-month tour of duty. She then reported to Norfolk, from which ,she sailed 28 July for her first Mediterranean cruise, which terminated 1 December at Boston.. On her second tour in the Mediterranean, Henley patrolled with other U.N.ships in the summer of 1948 as the Israeli-Arab dispute threatened to erupt into war. After a year of tactical training exercises and fleet maneuvers, Henley decommissioned at Charleston 15 March 1950. Less than 6 months later, with the outbreak of war in Korea, Henley went back in commission, rejoining the active fleet 23 September. Shakedown over, she sailed July 1951 for another tour with the 6 th Fleet in the Mediterranean. Henley was detached from this duty and made a cruise to northern European ports. including a journey up the Seine to Rouen, before returning to Norfolk in February 1952.
In company with Destroyer Division 221, Henley departed Norfolk 25 September 1953 for a world cruise which was to take her 44,000 miles in 218 days. During this period, Henley sailed through the Mediterranean and the Suez Canal, participated in the filming of in the Bridges of Toko-Ri" off the Korean and Japanese coasts, operated with the 7th Fleet in Asian waters, and returned to the States via the Panama Canal and the Caribbean. Following years fell into a pattern for Henley as she alternated Mediterranean cruises with ASW and other tactical exercises off the East Coast and in the Caribbean. In 1959 she Joined Task Force 47 for the Inland Seas Cruise to the Great Lakes through the newly completed St. Lawrence Seaway. Nearly 75,000 mid-westerners visited this representative of the "salt-water navy" in her 2-month cruise.
When a crisis erupted in the fall of 1962 over offensive missiles stationed in Cuba, Henley Joined the fleet "quarantining" the island and reasserting America's commitment to democracy as well as self-defense. Following this impressive demonstration of sea power, she then returned to a peacetime pattern of readiness operations.
On 1 October 1964, Henley became a Group I, Naval Reserve training ship assigned to the Anti-Submarine Warfare component of the Naval Reserve. Following overhaul at Newport News, Va., and refresher training at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, she began the first of numerous Naval Reserve training cruises out of Norfolk, Va., 1 May 1965. Manned by a nucleus crew, she cruised along the Atlantic Coast and into the Caribbean during the next 2 years and provided valuable service as an at-sea training platform for hundreds of NavaI Reservists. Into mid-1907 she continued this vital duty both for officers and men of the Naval Reserve and the Nation. With her antiaircraft and shore bombardment capabilities, Henley maintains a state of reediness that would allow the ship to begin immediate Operations with the Atlantic Fleet in any emergency.