(DD 665: dp. 2050; 1. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35.2 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)
Bryant (DD-665) was launched 29 May 1943 by Charleston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. Samuel W. Bryant, widow of Rear Admiral Bryant; and commissioned 4 December 1943, Commander P. L. High in command.
On 28 March 1944 Bryant arrived in the Pacific and during the next 14 months took part in the seizure of Saipan and Tinian (15 June-2 August 1944), Battle of the Philippine Sea (19-20 June); capture of the southern Palaus and Ulithi (6-29 September); support of minesweeping operations and amphibious assault on Dinagat and Leyte Islands (14 October 1944-2 January 1945), during which she suffered slight material damage and one man wounded when, on 22 December, a Japanese suicide plane crashed about 25 yards off her port side; Battle of Surigao Strait (24-25 October), during which Bryant, in company with Robinson (DD-562) and Halford (DD-480), executed a well coordinated torpedo attack; Lingayen Gulf landings ( 2-21 January 1945 ); Iwo Jima invasion (14 February-9 March); and the Okinawa operation (21 March-28 April). On 13 April 1945, while . patrolling on radar picket station, Bryant was attacked by six enemy planes, one of which succeeded in crashing into the port side of the bridge. The plane was carrying a bomb which exploded upon impact, causing extreme damage to the bridge structure. Twenty-eight men were killed, eight men were missing, and 33 were wounded.
The ship returned to the United States in June and underwent repair at United Engineering Co., Ltd., Alameda, Calif., until September 1945. Arriving at San Diego 27 September, she was inactivated and placed in reserve commission 9 July 1916. She was placed out of commission in reserve 15 January 1947.Bryant received the Navy Unit Commendation and seven battle stars during her World War II career.