(DD-660: dp. 2050; l. 376'5"; b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s. 35.2 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Fletcher)
Bullard (DD-660) was launched 28 February 1943 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Kearny, N. J.; sponsored by Mrs. H. G. Bullard, widow of Rear Admiral Bullard; and commissioned 9 April 1943, Commander G. R. Hartwig in command.
After conducting brief operations along the eastern seaboard and in the Caribbean, Bullard proceeded to the Pacific, arriving at Pearl Harbor 29 August 1943. With the exception of one voyage to California (10 September 1944-18 February 1945) she operated constantly in forward areas of the Pacific rendering fire support, plane guard, patrol, and radar picket services. She participated in the Wake Island raid (5-6 October 1943); Rabaul strike (11 November); the invasion of Tarawa (19 November-1 December); the occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls (22 January-March 1944); Admiralty Islands landings (30 March-13 April), Hollandia operation (16 April-4 May); seizure of Saipan and Guam (10 June-17 August); and the Okinawa operation (15 March-31 May 1945).
On 11 April 1945 during the Okinawa operation Bullard was slightly damaged by a Japanese suicide plane. Repairs completed at Okinawa, she departed 31 May and steamed to Leyte. Departing Leyte Gulf, 1 July, Bullard next participated in the 3d Fleet raids against Japan (10 July-15 August).
After the cessation of hostilities Bullard remained in the Far East engaged in occupation duties until 10 November 1945 when she departed for San Pedro, Calif., arriving 3 December. She operated along the west coast during most of 1946 and then reported to San Diego for inactivation. Bullard was placed out of commission in reserve 20 December 1946.Bullard received nine battle stars for her World War II service.