DD-483; dp, 1630; 1. 348'4": b. 36'1", dr 17'6" 9.86 k, cpl 272; a. 4 5", 10 21" TT.; cl. Gleaves
The second Aaron Ward (DD-483) was launched 22 November 1941 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co, Kearny, N. J.: sponsored by Miss Hilda Ward, daughter of Admiral Ward, and commissioned 4 March 1942, Commander O. F. Gregor in command
Aaron Ward sailed for the Pacific 20 May 1942. After several escort missions she joined the covering force at Guadalcanal, 17 October 1942. During the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, 13 November 1942, she performed gallantly, and took nine hits killing 15 of her crew and wounding 55 Using saltwater feed she cleared the area until taken in tow for Tulagi, the next morning, by Bobolink (AT-131). She entered Pearl Harbor 20 December for repairs and on 6 February 1943 rejoined the fleet.
On 7 April 1943 while covering LST -449 off Togoma Point, Guadalcanal, Aaron. Ward was attacked by six Planes which scored one hit and four "near miss", sinking her after she had scored hits on three of the planes.Casualties were 27 men killed or missing and 59 wounded.Aaron Ward received three battle stars for her service in the Pacific.