( DD-471: dp. 2050; l. 376'5" b. 39'7"; dr. 17'9"; s.35 k.; cpl. 329; a. 5 5", 10 21" tt.; cl. Fletcher)
The second Beale (DD 471) was launched 24 August 1942 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, N. Y.; sponsored by Miss Nancy Beale, a great-grandniece of Lieutenant Beale; and commissioned 23 December 1942, Commander J. B. Cockran in command
Reporting to the Pacific Fleet, Beale took part in the landings at Cape Gloucester, New Britain (2-28 December 1943 and 23 January-1 February 1944), Saidor, New Guinea (2--22 January); bombardment of Sio, New Guinea (8-January); Admiralty Islands landings (27 February-8 March); bombardment off Wewak, New Guinea (1-19 March), Hollandia landings (22 April); Wakde-Toem landings (17 May); Biak landings (27 May-9 June); night destroyer action off Biak (8-9 June); Noemfoor Island landings (2 July); Wewak-Aitape landings (16- 24 July); Cape Sansapor, New Guinea, landings (30 July); Peleliu, Palaus, landings (15 September); and invasion of Okinawa (1-24 April 1945). As a fitting climax to her outstanding career, she took part in the 3rd Fleet air strikes against the Japanese home islands (26 July-7 August 1945) bringing an end to the war.
Beale remained in the Western Pacific on occupation duty, until 80 November 1945. She then returned home and went out of commission in reserve at Charleston Navy Yard 11 April 1946.
Reclassified DDE 471, 2 January 1951, she was converted at Boston Naval Shipyard and recommissioned 1 November 1951. Through 1956 Beale has made six Caribbean training cruises and one trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. She also made three tours in the Mediterranean with the 6th Fleet.Beale received six battle stars tor her World War II service.