(DD-411: dp. 1720; 1. 347'11"; b. 36'1"; dr. 17'4"; s. 37 k.; cpl. 251; a. 5 5", 12 21' TT.; cl. Sims)

Anderson (DD-411) was launched 4 February 1939 by Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Kearny, N. J.; sponsored by Mrs. Mertie Lorain Anderson, widow of Admiral Anderson; and commissioned 19 May 1939, Lieutenant Commander W. H Hobby in command.

Anderson underwent a long period of tests and trials before joining Battle Force, United States Fleet, in the Pacific as flagship of Destroyer Division in May 1940. In June 1941 she returned to the Atlantic and during October and November convoyed vessels between Ireland and Canada.

In December 1941 Anderson proceeded to the Pacific as part of the screen for Battleship Division 3. She formed part of the screen for Yorktown (CV-5) during the Battles of Cora1 Sea (7 May 1942) and Midway (3-6 June 1942). Following escort missions during July and August, Anderson Joined the screen for Hornet (CV-8) splashing several planes in the Battles of Eastern Solomons (24 August 1942) and Santa Cruz (26 October 1942) . Anderson screened transports, carrying reinforcements to Guadalcanal during November, and Enterprise during the strikes of 1-14 November. From December 1942 to March 1943 she operated out of Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, on anti submarine patrols and escort duty. Returning to San Francisco 9 April, she underwent overhaul and repairs until 8 June and then returned to the Pacific.

From July to September 1943 Anderson operated in Aleutian waters taking part in the bombardments of Kiska (2 and 15 August). In September she steamed to Wellington, New Zealand, where she joined the escort screen for the transports destined tor Tarawa. During the Tarawa landings (20 November-7 December 1943), she provided effective fire support. On 30 January 1944, during the close inshore bombardment of Wotie Atoll Marshall Islands, an enemy shell hit the bridge killing six men (including her captain, Commander J. G. Tennent and wounding 14. The following day she screened the heavy bombardment vessels at Kwajalein.

Badly damaged by grounding 1 February 1944, Anderson underwent repairs at Pearl Harbor until 15 June. She then Joined the 7th Amphibious Force for the landings at Cape Sansapor, New Guinea ( 1 18 August ); Morotai landings (15 September); and Leyte (20 October). While Anderson was on patrol off Leyte 1 November 1944, a Japanese kamikaze crashed on her port side aft killing 18 men and wounding 20.

She returned to San Francisco 9 December for repairs before joining TG 92.2 at Attu, Alaska 11 May 1945. She participated in the bombardments of Paramushiro, Kurile islands (19 May, 22 June, and 12 August ); Matsuwa, Kurile Islands (11-12 June and 12 August ); the antishipping sweeps in the Sea of Okhotsk (17-19 June and 17-22 July); and the 25 June attack on a Japanese convoy west of the Kuriles.

During 8-22 September Anderson participated in the occupation of Northern Honshu, Japan, and on 8 November she arrived at San Diego. There she was stripped in preparation for use as a target in Operation Crossroads at Bikini Atoll. She arrived at Bikini 30 May 1946 and on 1 July 1946 became one of the four ships to sink as a result of Atomic Bomb Test Able.

For her operations in the Pacific, Anderson received ten battle stars.