(DD - 331: dp. 1,190; 1. 314'6"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'4"; s. 36k.; Cpl 96; a. 4 4 ', 1 3", 12 21" tt.; cl. Clemson.)
The second Macdonough (DD 331) was laid down 24 May 1920 by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco, Calif.; launched 16 December 1920; sponsored by Mrs. Charles W. Dabney great-granddaughter of Commodore Thomas Macdonough; and commissioned 30 April 1921, Lt. Comdr. H. J. Ray in command.
Based at San Diego throughout her naval service, Macdonough operated primarily along the west coast. Periodic maneuvers and cruises with the Battle Fleet on the Pacific coast of Central America, the Hawaiian Islands, and in the Caribbean, as well as special assignments, intervened in her normal operations schedule. Included in her special assignments was a good will cruise with the fleet to Samoa, Australia, and New Zealand, 20 June to 25 September 1925.
On 22 March 1929, Macdonough returned to San Diego from fleet exercises held off Balboa, Canal Zone, and operated off southern California until decommissioning at San Diego 8 January 1930. She was sold as scrap 20 December 1930.