(DD-3I5: dp. 1.190; 1. 314'5"; b. 31' 8"; dr. 9'3"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 95; a. 4 4", 12 21" tt.; cl. Clemson)
The first La Vallette (DD-315) was laid down 14 April 1919 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco Calif.; launched 15 July 1919; sponsored by Miss Nancy Lane, daughter of the Secretary of the Interior, and commissioned 24 December 1920, Lt. Comdr. A. D. Dens in command.
Homeported at San Diego throughout her service La Vallette participated in the intensive training schedule through which the peacetime Navy maintained its readiness. West coast operations were highlighted by annual Pacific Fleet battle practice in Hawaiian or Panamanian waters. In 1924 and 1927, La Vallette transited the Panama Canal for Caribbean maneuvers, participating in a presidential review by Calvin Coolidge 4 June 1927.
As early as 1922 La Vallette participated in antiaircraft training, and witnessed the growing importance of naval aviation while acting as plane guard for Lexington (CV-2) during her final months of service. She decommissioned at San Diego 19 April 1930, and on 10 June 1931 was scrapped in accordance with the London Treaty.