(DD-274: dp. 1,190; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'4" ; s. 35 k. cpl. 120 : a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21" tt. ; cl. Clemson)
The first Meade (DD-274) was laid down by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Squantum, Mass., 23 September 1918; launched 24 May 1919 sponsored by Miss Annie Paulding Meade; and commissioned at Boston, Mass., 8 September 1919, Lt. Comdr. Benjamin F. Tilley, Jr., in command.
After shakedown along the east coast, Meade was assigned to duty with the Pacific Fleet. During more than the next 2 years she operated out of west coast ports including San Diego and San Francisco while participating in fleet and squadron maneuvers. After duty with several destroyer divisions, she decommissioned at San Diego 25 lay 1922 and was placed in reserve.
Meade recommissioned at San Diego 18 December 1939, Lt. Comdr. C. A. Printup in command. After returning to the east coast in 1940, she served with ships of DesRon 9 of the U.S. Fleet. In accordance with provisions of the Destroyer Transfer Agreement of September 1940, Meade was designated one of the 50 - overage destroyers to be transferred to the United Kingdom. She decommissioned and was turned over to the British 23 November 1940. Renamed H.M.S. Ramsey (G-60) she served the Royal Navy in the North Atlantic and later Performed valuable duty as an aircraft training ship. She completed her service 30 June 1945 and was scrapped in July 1947 at Botness, England.