(DD-26: dp. 893 (f.); 1. 293'10"; b. 26'; dr. 10', s. 30 k cpl. 110; a. 5 3", 6 18" tt.; cl. Roe)
Perkins (DD-26) was laid down 22 March 1909 by Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass.; launched 9 April 1910; and commissioned 18 November 1910, Lt. Comdr. Pringle in command.
After almost 7 years of peacetime service with active and reserve destroyer squadrons, Perkins recommissioned 3 April 1917, Lt. Frank M. Knox in command. Assigned to the second division of United States destroyer forces in Europe, a division which included Paulding, Wilkes, and Ammen, she operated out of Queenstown, Ireland, from June into november 1917.
During this duty, she rescued survivors of Tarqunh 7 August, and escorted S.S. Bohemia from Saint Nazaire to Ireland and S.S. New York from Queenstown to Liverpool. In November 1917 she departed Ireland for New York, N.Y.
During the winter of 1917-1918, she underwent overhaul at Charleston, S.C. From March to December 1918 she operated out of Gravesend Bay, N.Y. on antisubmarine patrol and escort duty. She sighted German submarine U-151 off New Jersey 2 June 1918. On convoy duty she escorted various ships, including President Grant and President Washington, between Halifax, Nova Scotia and New York.
Entering the Reserve Fleet 5 December 1919, she remained there until she was struck from the Navy List 8 March 1935, sold 28 June, and scrapped.