(DD-264: dp.1,190: l. 314'5": b. 31'8": dr. 9'3", a. 35 k. cpl .120; a. 4 4", 2 3", 12 21 " tt.; cl. Clemson)
The first McLanahan DD- 264) was laid down 20 April 1918 by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass.; launched 22 September 1918 ; sponsored by Mrs. Charles M. Howe; and commissioned 5 April 1919, Comdr. R. B. Coffey in command.
After shakedown off the Massachusetts coast, McLanahan was assigned to the Pacific Fleet. At San Diego in October 1919 she was placed in reserve and decommissioned in June 1922. She remained at San Diego until recommissioning 18 December 1939. Then, following overhaul and fitting out, she steamed to the east coast. On 8 October 1940 she decommissioned as a U.S. Navy ship at Halifax, Nova Scotia, and commissioned in the Royal Navy, under the terms of the destroyers-for-bases agreement, as Bradford (H-72).
As Bradford she performed escort duties in the Atlantic, including convoys to north Africa.. for operation "Torch," from 1941 to 1943. On 3 May 1943 she was declared no longer fit for ocean escort work and was ordered decommissioned at Devonport. There, for the remainder of the war, she served as an accommodations ship. She was scrapped at Troon 19 June 1946.