(DD-261: dp. 1,190; 1. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'3"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 120; a. 4 4", 2 3", 4 21" tt.; cl Clemson)
Delphy (DD-261) was launched 18 July 1918 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Squantum, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. W. S. Sims, wife of Rear Admiral Sims and commissioned 30 November 1918, Commander R. A. Dawes in command.
Before joining the Atlantic Fleet Delphy tested submarine detection devices at New London from 23 to 31 December 1918 and aided survivors from Northern Pacific, stranded off Fire Island, N.Y., on New Year's Day, 1919. Delphy sailed from New York 13 January for winter maneuvers and torpedo practice in the Caribbean. Returning to New York 14 April with the Fleet, she sailed for Boston on the last day of the month for operations in preparation for the first transatlantic seaplane flight
Delphy sailed 19 November 1919 from Boston for the west coast, arriving at San Diego 22 December. She joined Destroyer Squadrons, Pacific Fleet, at San Diego for torpedo practice and recovery until placed in reserve 12 June. Delphy lay at San Diego until 27 December when she sailed with the other ships of Reserve Destroyer Division for Bremerton, Wash., arriving 4 January 1921 for an extended overhaul at Puget Sound Navy Yard.
Between 22 July 1921 and 20 March 1922 Delphy operated from San Diego with 50 percent of her complement, then was overhauled. She cruised with the Battle l Fleet for exercises off Balboa from 6 February to 11 April 1923, then carried out experiments with torpedoes off San Diego. On 25 June she got underwater with Destroyer Division 31 for a cruise to Washington for summer maneuvers with the Battle Fleet on the return passage. Delphy was the leading destroyer of seven which were stranded on the rocks of the California coast near Point Pedernales in inclement weather on 8 September. Delphy crashed broadside and broke in half, her stern below the surface, suffering three dead and 15 injured. She was decommissioned as of 26 October 1923, and sold as a wreck 19 October 1925.